The Victorian Inn is one of the most historic Monterey Bay hotels and a true reflection of the area's grand Victorian past. The origins of the stately Victorian house at the corner of Foam and McClellan, on the hillside above the rocky coast of New Monterey, dating back to the early 20th century.
The first record of the unusually substantial house amid the jury-rig homes and semi-rural buildings that dotted the landscape of its time indicates that the Lang Family resided there as early as 1907. It's possible that Frank Lang, a carpenter, was the home's builder.
The decision to construct such an elegant Victorian house in that location reflected the early assumption that this area, with its sweeping views of the Monterey Bay, was to become an up-scale enclave. Even at the time, though, there were signs that the ambition of the elegant Lang House and grand Murray-Tevis estate built on a nearby beach, was not the direction the area would move.